New to ECU Modifacations

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
benk
cars: VN V6 Commodore

Re: New to ECU Modifacations

Post by benk »

I was a bit confused earlier, I thought that I had to connect through the Flash tool :oops:

Still no luck, Closed everything down and just opened up TP5 and loaded the new adx but it wouldn't find anything it comes up with hardware not found.
Do I have to set up the com port in TP5 if so where do I find where to set it up?
benk

Post by benk »

Have got scannerpro working properly :D
but still can't get TP5 to connect
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

there is no hardware to detect with tunerpro just set the com port in tunerpro V5 preferences to the same as your com port and away you go
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
benk

Post by benk »

I have to go back to work so will have to try that when I get back in 2 weeks. Will TP5 work on Com port 10 as for Scannerpro I had to set it up on a com port less than 10?
benk

Post by benk »

got back onto the vn and have finaly got everything working even TP5. :D
Have done some logs and have found a few parts in the map that are running to lean (16 to 16.5:1 should be 14.7:1). Is there a way to work out how much I need to adjust the VE table to get the correct AFR or is it just guess work?
I thought I read about a formula to aply that would work out how much VE you needed add/subtract to get the correct afr but stuffed if I can find it now.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

you need to adjust the value of the cell you wish to correct by the percentage difference of the desired and actual AFR. The tp histogram can log the averages and give you a grid of numbers you can cut and paste in to a spreadsheet to do the whole table at once if thats the way you want to go about it
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
benk

Post by benk »

the AFR is ok up to about 2000rpm and then starts to lean out from there up and comes back to close to the desired AFR at WOT
antus wrote:The tp histogram can log the averages and give you a grid of numbers you can cut and paste in to a spreadsheet to do the whole table at once if thats the way you want to go about it
This is how I am doing it at the moment using the histogram. So just applyng the % difference AFR to the VE should get close?
eg. (Just numbers I pulled out of my head)
Desired ratio = 14.7:1
actual ratio = 16:1
VE = 72
so Actual ratio/Desired ratio x VE
16/14.7x72=78
New VE = 78 is this correct or am I way off :)
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Thats a cool way of going about it as I do what the actual AFR is negative the guessed % in this case it was around 8.6% till I get it to the commanded AFR & then add the percentage to what it was previously & BINGO so yeah 78.2%

But my way sounds longer, was just the easiest way I thought of in my head! works well though!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yep, thats right. It also shows how you dont really need realtime to tune your AFRs, as you should be able to get pretty close with a decent logging session and a table update calculated offline!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

spot on normally if im doing them manually i do the 16 / 14.7 = 1.0884.... , i then use this number in tunerpro with the toolbox multiply option on the required cell.

OORRR an easier option is the following spreadsheet.
wideband converter.xls
(124 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
So you'll see this spreadsheet has a few different tabs for different code bases. $12P Petrol, $12P Methanol and $83, these are the ones i have used it with thus far. To add more is simply a matter of copying the sheet to a new sheet and adjusting to suit. Bare in mind that some have more or less resolution in the AFR and VE tables so adjust accordingly.

ok so how to use it:

Under the heading "Wideband Log" you basically copy and paste the information from your scannerpro / tunerpro5 histograms into this area.
I normally setup my histograms to show MAP in 5kpa increments and RPM in 200rpm increments, this allows you to get the clarity needed for the lower rpm cells and the higher kpa cells also. At the end of the day its up to you how you set it up.
Also i like to use running average for the histogram display but again thats up to you ....

So once you have your log pasted into the spreadsheet then you need to fill in a few more things, eg. if your AFR table is different to the ones i have put in there then that will change your results so make sure they are the same.

Then get your current VE table out of the tune you used when logging and paste it into the area titled "Current VE Table Values" these should be direct copy and paste without needing any changes provided you have the right code base for the table you are working on in the spreadsheet.

so any area where there is a number in the "Wideband Log" will show up changes in the "Volumetric Efficiency Table Offset" so a number of 1 in there means 100% ie. no change. if you see a number of 1.029 that means that cell is lean by 2.9% - So now if you compare the "Current VE Table Values" to the "New VE Table Values" in that cell you will find that the new value is offset by 2.9%.

So all going well you should then be able to just copy and paste the "New VE Table Values" into tunerpro and you should have a reasonably changed VE table.

PLEASE NOTE: take a look at the graph in tunerpro before saving to make sure there are no massive spikes in the changes, use your head if theres anything that looks way out it probably is and in that case i'd suggest changing it to be in the middle of all the cells around it. Sometimes you get decel readings in the middle of the table and they effect the results etc etc.