Turbo vn bush hack

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
BIGALSRYD

Turbo vn bush hack

Post by BIGALSRYD »

Hey guys, as a bit of a learning experience I am a building turbo v6 out of scraps I have lying around. Have almost finished welding up the manifolds and am hoping to get away with buying as little as possible (have only spent $500 so far, including the car). Was wondering if I could get away with running a rising rate fuel pressure reg for a few psi, or would need bigger injectors straight up. Have also heard of dodgy people drilling out the injectors does this work?

That is all for now, no doubt will have a lot more q's once the project progresses.

Cheers
TTVN
cars: TT 355 VN, Rearmount turbo 355 vp, cammed 355 hj60 landcruiser, vx clubby n efilive VZ ls1 wagon

Re: Turbo vn bush hack

Post by TTVN »

realistically as soon as you feel a few psi it will turn into a few more psi and so on and so forth

you will need a decent pump with a rising rate reg

i dislike rising rate regs as its really a stop gap fix and you wont get the fuelling accurate with it anyway without tuning

do it properly geez u can get l67 injectors for $350 tuning kit from here for a few hunderd more and your done
BIGALSRYD

Post by BIGALSRYD »

Cheers thought that might be the case. Are xr6t injectors the same? Might be able to pick a second hand set cheap.
BIGALSRYD

Post by BIGALSRYD »

Well finally finished this thing and have managed to do it for less than a grand including the car.

Moo engine out
2011-10-06210700.jpg
2011-10-06210700.jpg (95.65 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
Race motor in.
2011-10-06210622.jpg
2011-10-06210622.jpg (116.4 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
2011-10-06210637.jpg
2011-10-06210637.jpg (130.6 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
Turbo is only small of a jcb but should hopefully do the job. As this was my first attempt at any real welding, no doubt there will be pin holes everywhere but it is in the spirit of the build. I dont expect it to be reliable or last long but has been fun learning experience.

I have run into a couple of problems now however. Went to start tuning but managed to snap a leg off the nvram. So i decided I'd try burning to eeprom but could not get it to work. Tried burning standard ose12p still no good. Tried reading the standard memcal (BAAM) and writing that (at correct offset) still no good. Tried 2 different laptops and different eeproms (at29c256) what am i missing? Had this problem before, but put it down to cheap eeproms. I know its not the socket as the original memcal runs fine in there. All others check engine and fan. Haven't had to worry about burning yet as been using the nvram so could be something real simple im missing (hopefully). Any suggestions?

Thanks
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

im more interested in seeing the motor and turbo in the FB/EK behind the motor in the first :punk:
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

Are you putting the eeproms in the NVRAM board, or a socketed memcal?
BIGALSRYD

Post by BIGALSRYD »

202 - yeah me too. Was bought for the old boys 50th as a project for him / and us 4 boys to chip in and help with. Unfortunately although the body is relatively rust free the sub frame has seen better days. It might find its way onto a hilux chassis or something like that one day however.

Festy - into a socketed memcal. The standard memcal in the socket works, but can't get any of the ones I have burnt to work. Does it matter what options are selected in the burner? Write speed, lock etc? I can burn, and re read the burnt memcal and it looks fine, just doesn't want to play the game in the socket. I've had to bend the legs in slightly to get it to fit into the socket. Would this cause them to not contact properly? Didn't think to test this last night. Will test for continuity after work tonight.

Cheers
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

rare spares sell alot of rust repair sections for the subframe!

what offset are you using when trying to burn to the 256 chips ?
BIGALSRYD

Post by BIGALSRYD »

000000. Options in the burner prog are bin, normal and normal for fill and what ever the other option is - can't rememer off the top of my head. I'm assuming these are correct? 0x4000 when I tried to burn the standard tune I read off the original memcal and tried burning to the eeprom
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Is your bin file one thats been saved by TP after using the download bin from emulator function? If so then its just the cal segment so wont run the engine, if you post it up can add the rest of the bin data to it.

Your offsets sound correct for a 256k EPROM, 0 for a 32kb bin like 12P and 4000 for a 16kb VN.