Get unknown VN V8 tune onto Kalmaker SP3 using TunerPro?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
neRok

Get unknown VN V8 tune onto Kalmaker SP3 using TunerPro?

Post by neRok »

I'm getting my old vn v8 running after it has been sitting for a few years. I believe the blue-top injectors are stuffed, so I either need to reco, get new, or perhaps put in the green-tops I have in the cupboard (which may be stuffed too :?). This has me thinking about tunes, and thus I have questions...

The car has a standard ecm that has been tuned, though I'm not sure how. I also have kalmaker sp3 in the cupboard. I believe I can tune realtime with TunerPro and the sp3, over the sp3's serial interface (I have a laptop with serial port), which I read here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic. ... =10#p36228. Will I be able to read the current tune from the existing memcal using the kalmaker sp3 equipment? I would probably then have to manually re-enter all the variables in a new sp3 tune using TP, but at least I've got a baseline. I could then tweak whatever to suit the injectors I end up using?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Get unknown VN V8 tune onto Kalmaker SP3 using TunerPro?

Post by antus »

yeah that should work. if you have an eeprom program and can rewrite the kal hardware you'd be better off going 12p http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356

you may or may not be able to read the current tune by putting the memcal in the kalmaker hardware and using the flash tool http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82 but it will only work if the tune is 12p or kalmaker or VR based. If its a tuned vn/vp code base it wont support the high speed serial link the kalmaker hardware provides. in this case you'll need the eeprom programmer and an adaptor to read it off.

if you have the budget for it then its usually helpful to have a GQ-4X from mcumall.com on hand. It'll let you re-write/overwrite/recover the kalmaker hardware should it get corrupted while re plugging things and give you a way to read the other tune.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

get in touch with The1 on this forum, he does injector cleaning services!

as for your setup, assuming the tune on your computer now is a kalmaker one then you should be able to use the OSE Flashtool to read it off onto the computer.

there are some xdf's and adx's floating around for kalmaker so probably be enough to get you going.

Tunerpro only reads the tune and displays it in a form you can understand (with the XDF as a definition) so if you have a realtime tunable kalamker then you can certainly change things with it, but if you only have the kalmaker tune on a normal memcal then you'll probably want to port the changes over to something like $12P code and tune from there with it.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Since yiu have a laptop with a serial port. Would tuner pro 5 work on something that old?
I read somewhere that it doesn't like windows xp even?
neRok

Post by neRok »

antus wrote:can rewrite the kal hardware
antus wrote:It'll let you re-write/overwrite/recover the kalmaker hardware should it get corrupted while re plugging things and give you a way to read the other tune.
I'm a little lost by these statements, and also the software. So the flash tool is for getting the tune on and off of compatible hardware, and tunerpro is for changing the tune in between? Tunerpro can also real-time edit tunes on compatible hardware, in addition the flash tool method?

And I believe the hardware has its own software that only reads its own sort of config files? This software reads the 'tune' config burned by the above. If I want to run $12p on my SP3, its software would need changing. Is this what the quotes above refer to and what I might corrupt?
Dylan wrote:Since yiu have a laptop with a serial port. Would tuner pro 5 work on something that old?
I read somewhere that it doesn't like windows xp even?
It runs vista: http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/lap ... 300-EZ1514
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

The ecu you have is it fitted with a kalmaker real time board a nd theur serial plug for comms?
Or us it a normal vn ecu with a kalmaker sp3 tune on a normal memcal?

Flash tool is used for reading and also writing to nvram boards. Tuner pro is fir editing calibrations.
Tuner pro can read and write to ecu with a plug in installed.
neRok

Post by neRok »

Dylan wrote:The ecu you have is it fitted with a kalmaker real time board a nd theur serial plug for comms?
Or us it a normal vn ecu with a kalmaker sp3 tune on a normal memcal?
Full SP3 kitwith their red ECM etc, as per here: http://www.kalmaker.com.au/page28.html
Dylan wrote:Tuner pro can read and write to ecu with a plug in installed.
Would that be only ECUs with NVRAM boards?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

neRok wrote:
Dylan wrote:Tuner pro can read and write to ecu with a plug in installed.
Would that be only ECUs with NVRAM boards?
Yep!

it can read from any memcal that it supports, and can write to nvrams.

with the laptop I believe tunerpro 5 should work on XP .... I know we certainly have dell laptops at work with serial ports and windows 7 but they are not the fastest!

but if you have a laptop with a decent usb to serial adaptor should work perfectly fine if not built into the laptop.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Is that the laptop you had sp3 running on?

If it was me. Id get a read off your current kalmaker board.
Then have 12P burnt onto it. Get a compatible serial to usb adapter and use the kalmaker ecu and real time board and use tuner pro 5.

I started out on SP3 and now on tuner pro with all the pcmhacking.net hardware and haven't looked back.
I could read your current sram and copy over to 12P if you wanted to as a good baseline. There's lots of people on here with burners and kalmaker experience.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

I just noticed that you're in Perth?
That's right in Kalmaker snd VL400 territory. Maybe you couldget something sorted local?