Where to start?

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: Where to start?

Post by yoda69 »

You can go to here and go to the VT section, down the bottom is a stock CJDN bin to get you started while you look for a Programmer.
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... hp?f=7&t=3
CJDN is a Variant C $A6 xdf, so use that one.

VATS is in there so you should be fine to get it started, and change $A6 to $AA.

Regarding the fans, I'll have to go and look for a few more bits of info and add to the xdf for this, once updated I'll post what I think needs to be changed as well.

yoda69
Drew_au
cars: 2008 Holden VE SS V8 6.0l manual
2005 Toyota LC GRJ120R V6 4.0l auto
1938 Wolseley 14/60 Street Rod 5.0l Holden V8 auto
1959 Morris Minor with Austin-Healey 1098 and Toyota 5 speed
1949 Morris Minor factory original
1960 Fiat 411Rb !

Post by Drew_au »

VL400 wrote:Yep and device ID to AA to bypass the checksum. The only issue is getting the cooling fans to work correctly. The low speed fan is controlled via the BCM so it will throw an error and leave the high speed fan on permanently. yoda69 and holden202 have the answers for a fix so hopefully they can post up the details for this.
Ahh, yes. I noticed that while reading through the factory manual. Hopefully a solution is possible.

Andrew.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah theres no problems for a solution, my VS fan seems to be playing the game now finally .... thing is i've changed so much stuff its hard to know which change has fixed it :wall:
Drew_au
1960 Fiat 411Rb !

Post by Drew_au »

Our EPROM programmer at work is dead so I've given up on modifying the memcal myself. :x

I figure the best option for me is to buy one from one of the nice programmers here on the forum. 8-)

Basically I need a memcal that eliminates VATS, a performance boost would also be an advantage, as long as fuel efficiency and engine reliability aren't sacrificed.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Andrew.
yoda69

Post by yoda69 »

The VT fans look similar to the VS setup, biggest difference is the PCM actually measures the A/C Pressure with a Transducer and uses this information to turn fans on/off also, on the VS this is done by a pressure switch from what I can see in the wiring diagrams. Doesn't look insurmountable, but may take a little work to sort out exactly how it works.

yoda69
5point7
cars: 2 x hq monaro's
5.7 VY Calais gen 3
datto1200 ute
vt Berlina V6 sedan
ke70 corolla in wait

Post by 5point7 »

so i'm in a similar situation - i'm lookin at the same type of thing and been doing a bit of reading and so on - the moates ostritch (2) is a useable device for the VT V8 ecm? - just realtime tuning is a way off at this stage...? i have been recomended the http://cgi.ebay.com.au/True-USB-Willem- ... 483b407797 which i have read about (cheers charlay86) but this is only reader/writer! would the ostritch 2 and the tunerpro software be the overall recomendation? - i have emailed moates bout the autoprom http://www.moates.net/product_info.php? ... ucts_id=54 but no reply and not sure if it will read and write the VT V8 16234531 at this stage cheers for any direction pointing you may recommend!
yoda69

Post by yoda69 »

The Ostrich 2 and G6 Adapter (should be available soon from Moates) will work with the VS V6, VT V6/V8(Holden) with 128k bins.
The Ostrich 2 and G6 Adapter will allow realtime tuning, but once your tune is done, you can then burn it to a memcal using a programmer, I use the GQ-4x willems and highly recommend it.
Depending whether you want to remove the standard EPROM (UV erasable) and replace with an EEPROM (electronically erasable) will depend whether you also need a UV eraser.
The VT V8 is a 32pin 27C010 (fits 128k bin) chip.

yoda69
5point7
cars: 2 x hq monaro's
5.7 VY Calais gen 3
datto1200 ute
vt Berlina V6 sedan
ke70 corolla in wait

Post by 5point7 »

to remove the eprom and write that info over to an eeprom would be the go to save the original as is... and put away somwhere and forget about it... so the gq4-x for now, then when the G6 adapter is available buy that and the ostrich 2 (Can't write to 32pin 27C010 eeproms??) for real time tuning... :thumbup: any recomendations for -or links too - suitable eeproms to use! Thanks heaps for the heads up on it all, believe me it is well appreciated, i have been told by several people to just use a VN loom and computer but i'm glad now i have done some investigation into it and perseverred
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Its also probably worth considering one of VL400s nvram boards. If you have one of those you can keep the original memcal and leave the nvram item in the car, and do your tuning over the aldl connector. Either way you would be using the same xdfs for what to change in the bin, and both will work. The realtime VT bins are not tested yet, but have the same code as the rest and are likely to work. If there are problems we would get them sorted out quickly. Or if you dont want to be the first, im sure it wont be too long before someone else gets some testing in.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Drew_au
1960 Fiat 411Rb !

Post by Drew_au »

I haven't done anything with my VT engine since starting this thread - this has been a challenging year health wise.

Got to thinking about my project again lately and there are a few things I'm not so sure of:

The main concern I have is regarding the Check Powertrain Light. I plan to run the VT engine just with the PCM (and it appears this is possible thanks to Yoda69's work) but how will I ever know if the system is "throwing a code". From what I can glean from the factory manual there is no diagnostic LED output from the PCM other than a serial data link and a diagnostic mode input pin. Is a scanner or computer link the only way?

Once again - my apologies for my lack of know how - 95% of it makes sense - it's just a matter of getting the final details together.

Thanks,

Andrew.