Marvel Mystery Oil

For non EFI mechanical discussion
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Post by OZ38 »

Unfortunately using engine flush on a Holden V6 with unknown service history can have its consequences. Especially if sludge deposits move into one of the narrowing oil gallery areas passing the cam bearings to the mains. Spun big ends & mains is not uncommon after using flushing agents. As can be seen in this sectioned V6 engine block.

psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

its a wonder the crank even gets oil after the bearing shells for the cam are in place :|
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Hey OZ38 that's a nice cross section not the normal thing to have on the shelf. Was it done for a particular purpose?
Circlotron
cars: VP 5L LPG

Post by Circlotron »

I read somewhere that diesel engine oil can leave powdery metallic deposits in the combustion chamber, leading to pinging. Not an issue when used in a diesel though.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

Charlescrown wrote:Hey OZ38 that's a nice cross section not the normal thing to have on the shelf. Was it done for a particular purpose?
Yeah a crazy rodder by the name of James in the USA that was a member of the 3800Pro forum did lots of odd things looking at how to improve the 3800 V6 oiling deficiencies. We got into a long thread a few years back when he wanted to analyse the 3800 V6 thoroughly lol.

long thread > http://www.3800pro.com/forum/bottom-end ... ies-6.html

Cheers
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

I read somewhere that diesel engine oil can leave powdery metallic deposits in the combustion chamber, leading to pinging. Not an issue when used in a diesel though.
have a look at your api spec I think current would be API SN CF
which stands for spark engine grade N and combustion Engine grade F
And if you look at the advertised diesel oil it will have the same as the advertised spark oil of the same viscosity which leads me to believe what you heard is a myth
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

OZ38 - that block that was cut i take it thats what we know as our 'ecotec' engine and not the earlier EV6 or 1st VN motor? and if so do the early engines have the same deficiency. thats a really good thread - thanks for the link - was a very good read.

what gets me is that there are so many high milage VNs out there that still are going (i won't say strong, they are going) although if they have had regular oil changes with not enough sludge build theres probably good reason why they are still going.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

The ecotec architecture is based on the earlier V6 engines so yes, the same basic issues.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

psyolent wrote:OZ38 - that block that was cut i take it thats what we know as our 'ecotec' engine and not the earlier EV6 or 1st VN motor? and if so do the early engines have the same deficiency. thats a really good thread - thanks for the link - was a very good read.

what gets me is that there are so many high milage VNs out there that still are going (i won't say strong, they are going) although if they have had regular oil changes with not enough sludge build theres probably good reason why they are still going.

no I dont think they do. if you look at my built thread, my vp block has very big galleries compared to ecotec.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

one of them

I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.