Tuning Troubles With moates Ostrich 2.0

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
jezza351
cars: vr ss comodooree

Tuning Troubles With moates Ostrich 2.0

Post by jezza351 »

hi all have just recently bought a moates ostrich 2.0 and have been playing with it on the dyno at work with good results,
Great little toy, ok so heres the problem , i have been tuning my own car a vr 5litre auto playing with the ve tables , shift points , timing etc etc, when i have a tune i am happy with i turn the car off and restart it and all is good, i save the bin file then burn it to a memcal using a sst27sf512 eeprom, i have bypassed the program id and checksum and when i install it into the car the air con thermo starts up and it runs like a bag of snot (limp home mode im guessing) , the confusing thing is it wont come out of limp home mode even with a standard bin for the car on the memcal until i replace it with the original memcal which is one i have already made to suit crane 286 camshaft then all is fine , Beats me any help would be very appreciated
delcowizzid

Re: Tuning Troubles With moates Ostrich 2.0

Post by delcowizzid »

bad connection for the eprom socket or dead eeprom i had a heap of bigger 27c010's would program and verify fine but wouldnt run at all
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
jezza351

Post by jezza351 »

i thought that too but i have more than 1 27sf512 eeprom so i tried them all and even uv light erased a few originals but still no good, when i program other cars i have no problems, using willem pro 5.0, just strange i had to re install the memcal that i originally had in before the tuning and all was fine which is a custom memcal, im not sure on this but is it possible the computer has memorised the original memcal and when im changing the memcal it recognises its not the same and goes into limp mode, like the comp needs to be reset or something???????
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

if you change code bases its allways a good idea to reset the ecu i allways unplug the ecu power before swapping memcals anyway so its never been an issue.any checksum errors will make it go into limp home mode straight away.maybe one pin isnt quite soldered well it does happen sometimes 9/10 its a bad solder joint even when they look good.especially if the other file that runs on the other memcal doesnt run either.does the modified memcal the runs have any security devices in it that wont help if you copy the tune over to a new memcal
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Biggsy

Post by Biggsy »

When I had my VS V8 Auto, I had the exact problem and it was whenever I "AA" the checksum and ID. I could only ever bypass checksum on a VN/VP

Dave.
jezza351

Post by jezza351 »

ok so to get around this are you saying i need the correct checksum for what i have done to the bin file?
Doctor Bob
cars: VN, VT

Post by Doctor Bob »

if the file runs ok on the emulator, it should run in a memcal, the checksum needs to be disabled while using the emulator anyway
its probably a faulty chip or connection
try burning your running bin to the flash chip and see if that works

Rob
jezza351

Post by jezza351 »

ok after some more playing around i finally got it to work for some reason tunerpro was changing the checksum after i saved my bin file even though i disabled import checksum, and seems i also have a bad batch of eeproms Thanks for the help fellas, ps if you havent already got an Ostrich 2.0 i recommend getting one great product and great price!
Six_Shooter
cars: 2005 Dodge Dakota - For Sale
2000 GMC Yukon - The Daily driver
1985 GMC Jimmy S-15 - Under reconstruction
1973 Datsun 240Z - Toy, uses GM EFI.

Post by Six_Shooter »

It sounds like you're not using the correct offset to the boin when programming it to an E/EPROM.

I would have to assume that the Australian Delco ECMs are much like the North American Delco ECMs, in that the bin has to be offset to the "end of the chip".

I.E. a 32K bin needs to be programmed to a 27SF512 starting at address 8000, this will put the bin in the last half of the EEPROM.

Look at this link for more information; http://www.moates.net/documentation.php ... tion_id=75
2005 Dodge Dakota - The daily
1985 GMC Jimmy - A work in progress
1973 Datsun 240Z - The Toy, turbocharged and injected using GM EFI, and code59

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
XR Pilot
cars: Nissan Skyline wagon, ST162 Celica + MR2 turbo engine (project)

Post by XR Pilot »

Biggsy wrote:When I had my VS V8 Auto, I had the exact problem and it was whenever I "AA" the checksum and ID. I could only ever bypass checksum on a VN/VP

Dave.
On a lot of the XDF's I have seen, the program ID is set incorrectly. Output type in the general properties should be hex digits, most are set to floating point. So if you open an XDF and bin file, always check to make sure the program ID matches what you have opened, eg 12 for $12. If it doesn't, change the properties to hex digits otherwise $AA won't work ;)