4L60E Complete Rebuild

For non EFI mechanical discussion
sprattzvx
cars: Vxl67
Ke30 2door

Re: 4L60E Complete Rebuild

Post by sprattzvx »

this is gonna be a great thread the1, keep the detail up when assembling, lotta people should get something from this good stuff :thumbup:
The1

Post by The1 »

im sure ill miss something or post in the wrong order, just let me know and ill go through and add what your after or fix it up.
drift-it
cars: 03 vy calais L67

Post by drift-it »

good stuff nige! awesome write up.
hako
cars: VS Commodore
TL Magna
VW New Beetle

Post by hako »

Great work Nigel, looks pretty clean - solenoids still have factory check marks on them. I guess things will slow down once you get your "little helper" eh!
My old trans is up in the chook pen under cover....if you need any parts from it just give us a yell. I'll probably strip it down using your pics as a guide.
All the best for Xmas and the New Year.
The1

Post by The1 »

Thanks Guys, if there's anything i miss or get wrong let me know, i hope to have it in 3 sections, Teardown, Inspection and Rebuild.

Yeh i wanted to get this started while the wife is resting up and were waiting cause i dont know how much time or energy ill have after lol So atleast it's stripped down and checked and parts are ordered. Ill try and get the inspection stage started and posted up. The only thing left for the teardown is to remove the spring cage and low/reverse clutch from the bottom of the case, ill do that and update once the new parts come in before i start the rebuild.

Yeh ill let you know hako if i do, bit of pain having to order parts from the US, basicly no places in aus with full parts lineup for reasonable prices that ive found, all going good once this rebuild box goes in ill have my working near 300,000km trans out of my car to, ill prob take it apart and see how worn it really is lol, sunshell's prob hanging on by a thread and planetary gears all worn and wobbly. Would be interesting to see what went wrong with yours to Hako, perhaps fix it up for a spare next time? change the sunshell and put a seal kit through it atleast, how many km did that trans have on it?
DieselBob
cars: Vr SII Ute

Post by DieselBob »

I picked up the 4L60E manual a few years ago not the rebuild book - system operations and parts drawings, need any tech info let me know :)
The1

Post by The1 »

Thanks Bob, is that the blue covered GM book? If so that book is a Godsend!! i have that and the Overhaul Manual word Doc from Techline as well as Rick Metzing Disc, about the only things im worried about atm is torque specs but im sure between us all we'd have them when the need arises and putting one of those top or bottom steels in the wrong way! I have laid all the parts out though as they came out, so will be doing the rebuild process in reverse.
The1

Post by The1 »

Well i finally got the Parts order done, Thanks to Jeff at http://www.trutechtrans.com/ who helped with a heap of it and gave tech advice and time while still keeping prices low and answering questions quickly with the time difference in mind! Little plug i know but out of a good handfull of places i contacted even with the big order only a couple actually got back to me and Jeff was the only one who stayed with me for nearly a month cause im so damn picky! Now just have to wait till it arrives after chrissy and see how much time i have. :roll:

Total Parts Price came to $940 plus shipping.

Complete Alto Red Eagle High Performance Friction Kit
Complete set Kolene steels
Complete gasket and seal kit
Complete bushing kit with Teflon front pump bushing
Complete thrust washer kit
Sonnax Smart Sunshell Kit
Acdelco Reverse input drum
Wide Alto High Performance Carbon Band
Sonnax 2nd and 4th Servo Kit
Sonnax Forward, 1-2 and 3-4 Double Seal Pinless Accumulators
Sonnax & Corvette Accumulator Springs
Raybestos Forward Sprag
Low/Reverse Roller Element
.500 Boost Valve with sonnax spring
Stator Shaft
Separator Plate with gaskets
Sonnax Wide Sun Gear Bushing
ACDelco 3rd accumulator and 3-4 exhaust check valves
ACDelco 3-4 Apply and Backing plates
Bonded steel clutch pistons
Sonnax replacement load release springs
New Filter & Pan Gasket
The1

Post by The1 »

well my order's been shipped out now :mrgreen: i did change the 3-4 frictions, raybestos has new double sided frictions which will give OEM's a run, they reckon 30% more holding power and heat resistance, there only out in .080" so will be a 6 friction setup, still good for my build, not sure when the .062" will come out which will give you a 7-9 setup depending on steel thickness.
sprattzvx
cars: Vxl67
Ke30 2door

Post by sprattzvx »

hurry up already! :)
still undecided on a kit. looking at probuilt kits. when im ready to buy, i see another kit with alot more for just a little more.
i think the sunshell is fubar in the calais, no longer have reverse, and only first if selected otherwise takes of in second :x