festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
cars: VY s L67
Haines Hunter - not a car but still a toy

Re: festy's Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV

Post by 0081 »

Looks like you have some cool toys in the shed to make things with mate..

I like being able to make things myself, its frustrating waiting for other people to get around to your job when i have to outsource things
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

vlad01 wrote:i wish i had a mill, or at least a lath. So hard to find any around here that aren't 3 phase and affordable 2nd hand.
Don't be scared off by 3 phase.
Mine is pretty big for a turret mill - it weighs a bit under 2500kg and I need a step ladder to operate the drawbar :shock:
It's 3 phase, when I bought it I had a big shed with 3ph but now I'm in suburbia so it's in my garage running off 240v.
A 2.2Kw VFD only costs about $140, which takes 240v single phase in and produces 240v 3 phase out - and also gives you the ability to vary the speed of the motor.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

festy wrote:
vlad01 wrote:i wish i had a mill, or at least a lath. So hard to find any around here that aren't 3 phase and affordable 2nd hand.
Don't be scared off by 3 phase.
Mine is pretty big for a turret mill - it weighs a bit under 2500kg and I need a step ladder to operate the drawbar :shock:
It's 3 phase, when I bought it I had a big shed with 3ph but now I'm in suburbia so it's in my garage running off 240v.
A 2.2Kw VFD only costs about $140, which takes 240v single phase in and produces 240v 3 phase out - and also gives you the ability to vary the speed of the motor.

ahh cool, didn't know such a thing existed.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
festy

Post by festy »

This is the type of VFD that I have - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-2KW-3HP-10 ... 0926339554
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

The price of VFD's has come down, when I got my lathe a VFD was only slightly cheaper than 3 phase power, so I fitted a 240v single phase 3hp motor which works fine.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I can't get 3 phase where I am. So this would be the best way.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
festy

Post by festy »

My mill has 3 motors, so swapping to single phase motors was never going to be the cheapest option!

well the small thermo fan was a failure, after a couple minutes idling in my garage the fan kicked in but made no difference at all, the temp just continued to climb.
So I put the original one back on - it could almost keep temps under control but not quite.

The radiator cap is a long way below the level of the thermostat, so I might still have an air lock in the system. I jacked the front up and purged air from the highest turbo coolant hose when I filled it up, but will have to double check.
Actually, I better check the thermostat too while I'm at it.

I ran the engine for about 20 minutes the other day and nothing broke (that I know of) so hopefully the cooling issue is just something simple for once....
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

im not surpsied your fan didn't work, its pretty small!

how much room do you have ? I reckon you'd almost fit a ford mondeo twin thermo set in there! if that doesn't keep it cool you need a larger radiator!
festy

Post by festy »

Seeing as the stock fan currently can't keep it cool while idling on a spring morning, I think there's something wrong and throwing more fans at it might just mask the problem. I'm hopeful it's just trapped air because it was fine a couple of weeks ago so I doubt the radiator has clogged up since then.

But even before this I've been looking for a replacement radiator that will fit in the shallow space I have available, and I think a Mk 2 Golf might be my best chance.
storm_x
cars: Alfa

Post by storm_x »

festy wrote:Seeing as the stock fan currently can't keep it cool while idling on a spring morning, I think there's something wrong and throwing more fans at it might just mask the problem. I'm hopeful it's just trapped air because it was fine a couple of weeks ago so I doubt the radiator has clogged up since then.

But even before this I've been looking for a replacement radiator that will fit in the shallow space I have available, and I think a Mk 2 Golf might be my best chance.

Nissan pulsar one fits
Alfa Romeo built to excite , some dream or driving the ideal. I drive it.