Toyota Powered VL Calais

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: Toyota Powered VL Calais

Post by VL400 »

Been a long time with no updates, progress has been slow but all the suspension, brakes and under body is now finally finished....
600_5441.jpg
600_5441.jpg (168.07 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
600_5442.jpg
600_5442.jpg (183.88 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
600_5437.jpg
600_5437.jpg (196.73 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
600_5452.jpg
600_5452.jpg (219.72 KiB) Viewed 4876 times

Few things to finish on the interior (changed the dash colour slightly) and a few small engine bay bits but its all pretty much complete. Next job is to fill this area up....
600_5436.jpg
600_5436.jpg (210.46 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Good work noticed the brake upgrade, any plans for the rears?
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Nah no upgrade at this stage, they work ok with standard rears on the street and occasional track use. Both ends have QFM pads which help.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

You will love the coil overs best idea ever.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Really coming together. good work!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400

Post by VL400 »

Dylan wrote:You will love the coil overs best idea ever.
Have been in the car for over 5 years now, and yep much improved handling having access to different spring rates :thumbup:

Had to replace the strut tops as the old Noltec ones had fallen to bits. They were made using the old crumbly poly, had a heap of other bushes in the car that did the same :( All replaced now though.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Vt twin piston caliper, DBA T2 rotors, conversion hubs, safe brake braided hoses, coil overs, koni shocks?

nice!

white line sway bar nolthane bushes?

Boo!!

:lol: looks good, whats the coil overs you have there?

may i suggest using superpro bushes. They will shit all over those in durability and functionality.
I have had my mine since 09 with over 150k of rough as guts terrain and they are still going good.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah the Poly rubber is a lot better but most people didn't know this when nolathane first came out, assuming this is what VL is using now, hindsight is a great thing if you have it!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

looking good man :) this reminds me of my Gemini drag car build, was like 2 yrs of solid work till I was finally able to drive it :) you must be stingin!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Yeah the Poly rubber is a lot better but most people didn't know this when nolathane first came out, assuming this is what VL is using now, hindsight is a great thing if you have it!

they have improved with some of their products but the poly still cracks over time. They are just mass produced in china anyway.

the superpro aka Fulcrum bushes are a superior material, have knurling for grease retention which works great, all machined outer shells so it actually fits properly and some of their bushes have special voids in the design to help with suspension harmonics and vibration dampening. Also they are made in house in the QLD factory. The super pro bushes are all dark blue not red so its easy to know if you have good or crap ones.

they leave the nolthane for dead all day every day, literally.

I say they are 100% better long term for 10% more cost over the nolthane.

I do give nolthane credit for the holden sway bar link pins/bushes kit. It actually works and lasts. Mine still going good for well over 6 months. Had a look just the other day, no deterioration so far so I am happy. I would only get couple of weeks out of stock rubber ones. I think their key to success on this one was the UFO shaped bush that allows the pin to roll around on the strut bracket like a ball joint with ease yet firmly anchored in place.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.