vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

OIl pressure relief springs V6

Post by vlad01 »

Anyone got info about the relief spring used in the V6 range of engines?

I will start by adding stock spring for the S2 VN to VR and also I found it the same as VS

(will add GMH part number here)
Length new 66.3mm
Oil pressure as per manual (will add here soon)
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: OIl pressure relief springs V6

Post by immortality »

Only need to stock the Ecotec spring as it's the best one to use in all the V6 engines.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

well I ordered VS ecotec springs and they were the same spring as pre ecotec, so yeah. some investigating is needed.

Like a lot of commodore stuff, I take it with a grain of salt what people claim.

90% of the gospel in the Holden community is BS anyway.

So this is why I started this thread, we need to actually get info, remove springs from engines and document and compile them to which engine periods they belong to and cross check with workshop literature.

So people start looking though your workshop manuals and post info :)
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

what are you trying to achieve ?
The1

Post by The1 »

when i looked into it all before for the vs ecotec the only thing i can find is the free length and load length of the spring in the workshop manuals.

Free Length 82.5mm Approx
Load Length 63.5mm Approx

ive never found anything to say what other people reckon about ecotec springs give higher pressure.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

I have used ecotec springs in s1 and up v6s to gain upto 20 psi from idle to redline
Cold start the vb is off the guage and sits round 50-60 hot idle
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

free length really doesn't tell you the story though, if one spring is different thickness or coiled tighter it will have a different effect when its installed!
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I think from memory I had a VN s2 spring and then a VS spring, the VS spring has more coils, so definitely firmer than the earlier springs.

Like Delco said, VS spring in early V6's sees 70psi+ oil pressure (idle) cold start using a 15w-40 on and otherwise stock s1 VN motor. Hot idle is 50psi+ which is fairly much max pressure on a s1 V6 engine.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:free length really doesn't tell you the story though, if one spring is different thickness or coiled tighter it will have a different effect when its installed!

yes I measured this too with my VS springs but its still the same as VN-VR

I am confused why the VS spring I got are not different? unless holden fudged the order some how? I was pretty clear and precise on what I wanted and also checked on their computer stowing the ecotec engine.

It wouldn't surprise me if VS were the same as they had bad oil supply issues and as always the model that spins bearings. Perhaps VS series 2 got longer springs?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:what are you trying to achieve ?
I am trying to get a list of spring so people can choose for their application and oil grade.

eg, you want to rev a buick more, you will need thinner oil and higher pressure to achieve the oil volume needed to supply the bearing.

but if you want lower revs then a thicker oil is needed for something like SC setup then having a higher pressure spring is probably not a good idea with thicker oil like 20w50. Probably work but might blow gaskets or oil filters.